– Temporarily closed until Spring of 2021 –
The Teutopolis Monastery Museum, located off Route 40, at 110 South Garrott Street, in Teutopolis, Illinois is open to the public on the first Sunday of the month, April through November. The hours are from 12:30 to 4:00 pm. Admission for adults is $5.00 and $1.00 for children.
There are more than 30 rooms open for viewing in the museum, which is housed on the second floor in the former Franciscan Novitiate building at Sr. Francis Church in Teutopolis. A chair lift is available. The articles are on display in the “cells” or bedrooms of the Novices.
The Monastery Museum is known for its collection of articles and books used by the Franciscan Friars during the novitiate year. Bibles in different languages and books from the 1700’s and the Theological Seminary are also on display. Other articles on display are items used by early Teutopolis pioneers including furniture, clocks, quilts, toys and various household items. Also displayed among the thousands of items are carpentry and farm tools used by or typical of those used by founding families of Teutopolis.
The tour includes the Mausoleum and St. Francis Church with stained glass windows which depict certain events in the life of St. Francis.
Volunteers are stationed at various tour points to explain displays and assist visitors.
Special group tours for 10 or more adults or school groups can be arranged for days other than the scheduled Sunday openings, call St. Francis Church at (217) 857-6404 ext. 236 and leave a message and we will return your call as soon as possible. Regular museum opening dates are the first Sundays of the months, April through November.
Find us at facebook.com/Teutopolis Monastery Museum and read weekly posts about our community and our heritage.